An Over Due College Post

Yes. I am now in my sophomore year of an academic life that makes you want to stop and think if you made the right decisions. Back when I was still an immensely immature high school senior, what i feared the most was not the big step from high school life to college life, but rather, the regrets i might face realizing that i am in the wrong college building, or better yet..in the wrong place all together.

During high school, I experienced being a stressed student leader, harassed journalist, terrible-time-managing-above-average-student, a loquacious parliamentarian, a wannabe dancer and a lot more trades a jack like me wanted to put myself into. I loved English, the written subject and the talking part to be more particular, liked math and science but did not particularly yield any interest in technology and computers. The only thing I knew about technology back then was that the latest ones are much more expensive than all the other older stuff.

Talking about future careers, I would always visualize myself standing in front of the camera, projecting, and in a stern and authoritative voice would i deliver the most up to date news for the country. Betteryet! I imagined myself in Iraq trying to risk my life for a full coverage of the on going war. Yes, i was an aspiring journalist during the best days of my naive childhood.

But along with maturity comes wisdom that dulls life.

Adding days to my life equated to thinking more about the practicality of the life you'd hone yourself into. Dangers, injustice and basically incompatibility issues haunted me and my desire to be a journalist.

Hence, me and computer programming.

Being in this course was not actually a last recourse sort of decision...but the decision of an apprehensive and challenge-inviting being like me. I opted to try something new. Besides, it was already etched in my mind that there is much luck needed to become a journalist or even a writer.. and innate luck was something i lacked. There was this instance when i was about to finish an expert level minesweeper game and there were only two squares left and one of them was to be the bomb and as luck would have it i clicked the bomb! Well so much for that.

Computer Science indeed is miles away from journalism. And so am i from being a journalist. However, loving and liking, contrary to how sensation would've dictated, is something that can be learned. We humans are led to believe in what they call bias and bias is actually something we nourish. We dont gain bias because it is the natural course of life, but rather, it is the natural course of life to gain bias on something we prefer. Point is, CS is not hard to love and like. But it's not that easy either.

Now i wonder why i still felt the need to write a post concerning the decisions i made overtime. Maybe because i really want to give justice to comsci. Right.

Or is it because i want to convince myself that i made the right decision after all?

Category: 3 comments

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to see a new post. Ay di lang pala yung new post. I'm surprised your bakground and layout. :) -your regular blog site visitor

charonimous said...

dear avid reader,

thanks for being an avid reader of my blog. i hope you like the things i write here. Even if i dont know you, i feel that you are one lovable person. Thanks and keep reading!:))

Anonymous said...

Well, you do love me. :))